Prior to 1916 the nearest RC church to Hightown was St. Mary's, Little
Crosby; the village was part of Little Crosby Parish. The original
population walked the three miles each Sunday for Mass and their children
had this same walk to and from school daily.
Local residents approached the Parish Priest at Our Lady's, Formby for help
in founding a church in Hightown. He promised that if suitable premises
were found he would provide either himself or a curate to say Mass on Sunday
mornings. As a temporary measure the use of a local resident's workshop at
the top of St. George's Road was offered. Fund raising then commenced and a
site purchased and building work started. This was completed and opened on
7 May 1916 and continued to be administered by Fr. Gardiner and his curates
from Our Lady's Formby.
In 1924 plans for a presbytery were approved and on completion Fr. Horrabin
was appointed as the first parish priest. Administration was handed over to
him, and it has been run since then as a separate parish.
Subsequently, each priest has had the combined job of looking after the
parish and carrying out other duties for the Archdiocese.
Currently Fr. David is the chaplain to the TA and Unit Chaplain for the Sea
Cadets in Garston (his previous parish).